As promised, here are some links for people who attended my talk at St Mary’s, Clapham on Wednesday 18 June, 2014
1. Hilarious video showing what a statistically valid ‘debate’ about climate change would actually look like: http://tinyurl.com/k5uslqx (4.9 million views and counting – updated January 2015))
Sending up the folly of ‘false balance’ in reporting of climate change issues by media such as Fox News and (disgracefully) the BBC:
2. IPCC reports : Climate Change 2014
The links take you to the menu for each report – I particularly recommend the videos, and especially the first one.
Working Group 1: The Physical Science Basis http://preview.tinyurl.com/kfwycog
259 authors from 39 countries
- The warming of the Climate system is unequivocal
- Human influence on the climate system is clear
- Continued Greenhouse gas emissions will cause further climate change
“Therefore we conclude: Limiting climate change requires substantial and sustained reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.”
Working Group 2: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability http://tinyurl.com/nxk7lab
309 authors from 70 countries
Adaptation and mitigation are complementary
Working Group 3: Mitigation of Climate Change http://tinyurl.com/nk68shs
235 authors from 57 countries
Global greenhouse gas emissions must be cut in half by mid-century and further after that.
Complete transformation in the energy system – especially electricity generation.
The atmosphere is a common resource – free dump for greenhouse gases
We need a broad portfolio of approaches
3. The five stages of Climate denial (beautifully exemplified in the Murdoch press, including The Wall Street Journal ) http://tinyurl.com/lz2ltaj
Stage 1: Deny the problem exists it does
Stage 2: Deny we’re the cause we are 2b: deny the scientific consensus it’s 97%
Stage 3: Deny it’s a problem it is
Stage 4: Deny we can solve it (too expensive, will hurt the poor, etc.) the exact opposite of the truth
Stage 5: Say it’s too late anyway it isn’t, quite, no thanks to Murdoch
4. Five pieces of ice news revealing earth’s ice cover is in serious decline http://tinyurl.com/qeo8dfe
- Antarctic ice melt is twice as fast as 10 years ago
- West Antarctic Glaciers are collapsing and it’s “unstoppable” – 2-3 metre sea level rise may take several centuries
- The Greenland Ice sheet could melt faster than previously thought
- Other ice caps and glaciers in the northern hemisphere are melting faster too
- Soot from forest fires contributed to unusually large Greenland surface melt in 2012
5. Northern hemisphere hits carbon dioxide milestone in April Reuter report 26 May http://tinyurl.com/l5aa4vy Read the denialists’ comments at the bottom if you’ve got a strong stomach.